St Katharine Docks
The only marina in Central London. It is a growing waterside community featuring modern office space, luxurious homes and buzzing restaurants and shops.
A stone's throw from the Tower of London, the site has an intriguing history. Opening in 1828, the dock was once one of the busiest ports in the UK. They were known for handling luxury goods including; sugar, rum, spices, perfumes, wines and tea. Today, St Katharine Docks houses a range of leading companies and brands.
Every Friday, the Docks hosts the World Food Market, serving some of London's best street food.
Address:50 St. Katharines Way St Katherine's & Wapping, London E1W 1LA
Borough - Tower Hamlets, Greater London, City
St Katharine Docks is a former dock. It lies off the River Thames, immediately downstream of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. From 1828 to 1968 it made up the Port of London. It is in the redevelopment zone known as Docklands and is a trendy housing and leisure complex.
St Katharine Docks took its name from the former hospital of St Katharine's by the Tower.
A 9.5 hectares site was earmarked for redevelopment in 1825, with construction commencing in May 1827. One thousand two hundred fifty houses were demolished, together with the hospital of St. Katharine.
The scheme was designed by engineer Thomas Telford and was his only big project in London. To create as much quayside as possible, he designed the docks in the form of two linked basins. By 1830, the docks had cost over £2 million to build.
Telford tried to minimise the amount of quayside activity and stated that the docks' warehouses (designed by the architect Philip Hardwick) should be built right on the quayside so that goods could be put into them.
The docks were opened on 25 October 1828. they were not a great commercial success and were unable to accommodate large ships. Amalgamated in 1864 with the neighbouring London Docks; In 1909, the Port of London Authority took over the management of almost all the Thames docks, including St Katharine herself.
During the Second World War, The St Katharine Docks were severely damaged by German bombing. The warehouses around the eastern basin got destroyed, and the site remained derelict until the late 20h century.
Due to limited capacity and inability to cope with large modern ships, the St Katharine Docks were closed in 1968 and sold to the Greater London Council. The site got leased to the developers Taylor Woodrow, and most of the warehouses around the western basin were replaced by modern luxury buildings in the early 70s. They were starting with the bulky Tower Hotel (designed by Renton Howard Wood Partnership) on a site on the river to the east of Tower Bridge. The World Trade Centre Building and Commodity Quay followed. The docks themselves becoming a marina in the 1990s. The development has often been cited as a model example of successful redevelopment.
In 1980 a St Katharine Docks Underground station was opened on the Jubilee line. The closest stations to the Docks today are Tower Hill and Tower Gateway DLR station.
Between 2005 and 2008 the former Danish lightship "Lightship ten had been moored on the west dock, before heading to Denmark.
The marina, including restaurants and offices, was owned by Max Property Group. Over the next three years, he completed a significant restoration, and In May 2017, the company hired agents to find buyers for the complex. This was withdrawn.
The area now features offices, housing, hotels, shops and restaurants, a pub (The Dickens Inn), yachts and other facilities. It is a popular leisure destination.
The east dock is now dominated by the City Quay residential development, seeing over 200 owned flats overlooking the marina. The south side of the east pier surrounds the South Quay Estate, which was for social housing. The dock is still used to this day.
The anchor from the wreck of the Dutch East Indiaman Amsterdam is on display at the entrance to the east dock.
Notable boats in the docks include Gloriana, royal barge, MV Havengore, Thames sailing barges.
Notable residents include David Mellor, Penelope, Viscountess Cobham, David Suchet and Jo Cox.
St. Katharine Pier is on St Katharine Dock and provides river transport services managed by London River Services. The leading service from St Katharine Pier is a cruise by Crown River Cruises which goes to Westminster Millennium Pier as well as a Westminster-Greenwich express service run by Thames River Services.
The nearby Tower Millennium Pier, located on the other side of Tower Bridge, provides the primary riverboat services to Canary Wharf and Greenwich as well as a fast visitor service to the London Eye.
Visit our Home page.