The Churchill War Rooms, London

In here lie secrets of the Second World War in the underground centre where Winston Churchill and his war cabinet lived and worked.

Address: King Charles Street, Clive Steps Westminster, London SW1A 2AQ England

In 1974, the Imperial War Museum was approached by the government and asked to consider taking over the site. The museum was feeling it did not have enough resources to commit to the War Rooms. In 1981, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who is an admirer of Winston Churchill, expressed hope that the Rooms could be opened before the next election. The Imperial War Museum was approached. Still reluctant, the museum decided in January 1982 that it would take over the site. This being on the understanding that the government would make the necessary resources available. The costs would be met by the Department for the Environment and the War Rooms intended to be self-sufficient going forward.

Mrs Thatcher opened the rooms to the public by on 4 April 1984. there was a ceremony attended by Churchill family members and former Cabinet War Rooms staff. =

Following an expansion in 2003, a hose of rooms used as accommodation by Churchill was added to the museum. The restoration of these rooms cost £7.5 million.

In 2005 the rebranding as the Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms, with 850 m2 of the site remade as a museum exploring Churchill's life- of which the development of which cost a further £6 million.

The centrepiece is a 15-metre table that enables visitors to access digitised material from the Churchill Archives Centre, via an electronic filing cabinet.

The Churchill Museum won the 2006 Council of Europe Museum Prize, and During 2009–2011 the museum received over 300,000 visitors a year. In May 2010 the name of the museum got shortened to Churchill War Rooms.

In June 2012 the museum's entrance got redesigned by Clash Architects and was Intended to act as a 'beacon' for the museum. The new external design consisted of a bronze entranceway, and the interior showed the Portland stone walls of the Treasury building and Clive Steps.

The Churchill War Rooms is a museum in London and a branch of the Imperial War Museum. The museum comprises the Cabinet War Rooms, a complex that held a British government command centre throughout the Second World War. As well as the Churchill Museum, a biographical museum showing the life of Brit Winston Churchill.

Construction of the Cabinet War Rooms, located in the Treasury building in the Whitehall area of Westminster, had begun in 1938. They became operational on 27 August 1939. this was a week before Britain declared war on Germany. They remained in operation throughout the Second World War. They were then abandoned in August 1945 after the surrender of Japan.

After the war, the value of the Cabinet War Rooms was noted. Their preservation became the duty of the Ministry of Works. followed later by the Department for the Environment.

In the early 1980s, the Imperial War Museum were to take over the administration of the site. The Cabinet War Rooms were opened to the public in April 1984.

Go to our home page here.